Dear (Future) Dreamers,
We are excited to finally open registration to new players for the 2023 season! The Field of Dreamers Cooperative Softball Association was formed in 2017 with the intention of creating a recreational softball space based on the principles of mutual aid, body liberation, and radical re-imagining of sport. We invite you to be part of this history!
ABOUT FIELD OF DREAMERS
Field of Dreamers began as a political project that not only seeks to create a space of play that affirms non-binary, trans* and other gender non-conforming identities but also that emphasizes the participations of Black, Indigenous, People of Colour and people with body types/skills that are typically not given respect in organized sport.
What makes our league different?
- We see our league as a political project and many of the players in the league are connected to grassroots anti-authoritarian movements in the city
- We are a relational league – all of our captains, organizers, umps, mentors, and cheerleaders are also players in the league. This means we run the league through each of us taking responsibility for participation, safety, coordination, and field prep. We also see ourselves as part of the Trinity Bellwoods community and seek to create and positive and supportive relationship with other park users
- We organize our league into 5 houses (Credit, Humber, Don, Rouge, Garrison) that represent the waterways that give life to this city
- We prioritize mutual aid and mentorship – all skilled/experienced players have a role in teaching, coaching, and sharing skills with beginner/intermediate players
- We refuse the ‘co-ed’ sport model, instead constructing rosters through self-identified experience/skill and emphasizing that all players should be valued, respected, and given opportunity to learn, succeed, and fail!
- The 2023 season will be played from Sunday, April 30th 2023 – Sunday, October 1 2023
- All games will be played at Diamond #1 (SkyDome), Trinity Bellwoods Park. Game #1 will begin at 8pm and Game #2 will begin at 9:30pm.
- Registration fees will range on a sliding scale, depending on your ability to pay from $0-$130 this season, with an option to contribute to a solidarity fund that will help pay for another player’s registration
- Registration will be open from Saturday, March 25th 7:30PM – Wednesday, March 29th 8:00PM
TO REGISTER, CLICK HERE: 2023 FIELD OF DREAMERS REGISTRATION
- Registration payments will be made to Co-Commissioner, Craig Fortier. Payments will only be accepted after player confirmation. You’re welcome to either wait until you receive confirmation or send it in advance.
- Email: [email protected]
- Password: playball
Q: How does registration work?
A: Field of Dreamers does not operate on a first come first serve basis. We instead use a progressive registration process that emphasizes communities we seek to centralize in our league. Registration will take place for the entirety of the week in which the registration form is open.
Our league prioritizes the registrations of BIPOC queer/trans* folks, BIPOC folks in general, and other trans*/non-binary folks. As we strive to create a relational league, we also prioritize past sub players and folks identified as “buddies” by current, registered players.
We register new players in batches using a progressive system of registration that prioritizes folks who identify as part of the above communities. All other players who wish to register are then added to rosters thereafter and/or are invited to play as subs for the season (which gives you priority registration in subsequent seasons).
Q: What happens if roster spots fill and I don’t get into the league?
A: While we wish we could accommodate all players who want to play in the league or spots are limited by our permit. We offer all players an opportunity to sign up as a substitute player in the season and those players are given priority to register in the following season.
Q: How are teams decided?
A: Teams are organized through our yearly draft. We draw on the self-represented skills you fill out in your registration form to divide each team evenly with players of a similar skill set. Once registered you’ll be contacted to let you know about jerseys, draft day, and the opening week skillshare!
Q: Can I register a team or play with a friend?
A: You cannot register a team in Field of Dreamers. Players are instead sorted into teams based on the draft. However, you may list one friend to be your “buddy”. Be sure that this same friend chooses you as their “buddy” too! When you are registered you will be linked together in the draft and will be placed on the same team.